Friday, July 23, 2010

The Fine Print











We recently got an HDTV as a gift, and I’ve tried to hook up my computer to it to watch Netflix. I’ve just embraced Netflix, believe it or not. It’s terrific. What’s not terrific is that when I use this special cord, an HDMI cord, I don’t get audio. An hour later, after some research, I discover that it’s a very common problem. Thousands of people have encountered it, but when I go to call Dell, who makes my computer, I discover that because my warranty is expired, I can’t so much as online chat with a technical representative.

So I ask you: future inventors, sellers, and distributors of products, how long should a company stand by its wares? I have an Eddie Bauer backpack that must be fifteen years old that I could return today, for a full refund (at least according to Eddie). Break it down for me—why backpacks but not computers? Is this just based on cost, and if so, is that based on the number of users, difficulty of correcting the problem, or what?

And can anyone help me get audio from this HDMI cable?

-Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment