Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Transcendent

Rather than examine what texting, computerizing, and general electronic multi-tasking does to our brain, this article follows the researchers who study this sort of thing for a few days on a camping trip. What I got a kick out of was seeing the head of a lab for which I volunteered my brain when I was a graduate student at Johns Hopkins. I want to get in touch with him to get the free images of my brain that I never received (I did get about $20).

I don’t know if it’s much of a surprise that we think more clearly when less is going on around us, or when we are “in” nature. It does kind of surprise me to know that multi-tasking doesn’t really help us think better or more on our toes. What I think would be most interesting would be to examine the “why nature?” question. In other words, would we enjoy more clarity in an empty room, a quiet car, or on an airplane?

And if we were thinking our best in nature, would I be able to solve one of most unsolvable math and computer science proofs of all time – the P versus NP proof? Find more our here. If you can solve it, stop by the CBC and you will get a prize!
-Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment